History

 

GENERAL

On 11 April  1950,  by Law no. 1431, the Ministry of National Defence was  established to replace the previous Army, Navy and  Air Force Ministries. The same Law (Article 2) provided for the establishment of the Hellenic National Defence General Staff through which the Minister of National Defence (MOD) practised all  functions prescribed in the aforementioned Law. The Chief HNDGS was a senior officer of any one of the three Services (Army, Navy, Air Force) selected by the War Council upon recommendation of the  MOD and appointed by a Decree of the MOD.

The first Chief/HNDGS was Field Marshal Alexandros Papagos. On 4 September 1950, a decree was issued 'on the Organization and Operation of the HNDGS' which arranged the details concerning the establishment and operation of the HNDGS. Pursuant to the said decree, the HNDGS comprised:

a. The Chief/ HNDGS
b. The Joint Chiefs of General Staff Council, a newly established body
c. The Joint Staff which included staff officers from all Services.

RESPONSIBILITIES

In 1953, the HNDGS operated as a coordinating body through which the MOD performed his duties.
The above remained valid until 1968 when the HNDGS stopped being a coordinating body  of the three Services of the Armed Forces. Then it changed into The Armed Forces Supreme Command and assumed full command over the three Services of the Armed Forces in peacetime and wartime. It was determined that the Chief of the Armed Forces would hold the rank of the General or the respective ones in the other two Services, instead of that of the Lieutenant General.

In 1977, the Armed Forces Supreme  Command was named HNDGS and it became the Supreme coordinating authority of the Armed Forces responsible for the implementation of the decisions of the Governmental Council on Foreign Policy and National Defence and the Joint Chiefs of General Staff Council  while the Chiefs of General Army, Navy and Air Force Staffs had the full command over their respective Services.

Moreover, the tenure of the Chief/HNDGS and the way of his selection were determined.

The HNDGS was granted additional functions on issues of defence policy,  obligations at Alliance  and international level, organization and control over peacekeeping contingents participating in missions abroad.

In 2002, the Law no. 2984 / 2002 'on Jointness in the Armed Forces' was passed. As a result, Law no. 2292/1995 was modified and the Chief/HNDGS exerts, from peacetime the operational command over the Joint  Headquarters  and their subordinate units meant to deploy in order to cope with military action threatening  the security and the legitimate interests of Greece  and requiring coordinated action by forces of the Services of the Armed Forces.

In 2010, a new law was passed (Law no. 3883) 'on the Command of the Armed Forces' which modified the Law no. 2292/ 1995 enabling the Chief/HNDGS to exert full command over all the Services of the Armed Forces.

PREMISES

HNDGS, since its establishment  and until 1959,  was located on the first floor of the building whitch in nowdays houses  the Parliament.  After the Army  and the Air Force  General Staffs moved into their current  premises, a decision  was made to construct the facilities where the HNDGS is being housed until now.

logo footer en

STRATOPEDO PAPAGOU
MESOGEION 227-231
15451 HOLARGOS
ATHENS