From January 15 to 17, 2018, the HNDGS Chief, Admiral Evangelos Apostolakis HN participated in the 178th NATO Military Committee Conference in Chiefs of Defence Session in Brussels.
The issues discussed at the conference included:
- The complexity of the security environment on the southern flank of NATO and the contribution of the Alliance to its stabilization.
- The review of the Resolute Support Mission in Afghanistan and NATO’s contribution to Iraq stabilization.
- NATO's command structure adaptation due to evolving security environment.
- The Ukraine and Georgia security situation.
HNDGS Chief pointed out that:
- The volatile current security environment requires NATO’s command structure effective response at the levels of crisis management and collective security.
- The optimal use of the Graduate Readiness HQs, will improve Command and Control Alliance's effectiveness.
- The further exploitation of NATO Education and Training entities, such as NATO Maritime Interdiction Operational Training Centre-NMIOTC, will improve the situational awareness on the southern flank of NATO, in the domains of maritime safety, special operations and information exchange.
- The development of regional, bilateral and multilateral military co-operation will enhance interoperability at the tactical level, promoting, at the same time, stability in the wider area of common interest.
- The necessity of the existing NATO-EU co-operation, at the operational level, in a complementary manner.
On the sidelines of the MC/CS, the HNDGS Chief met with his counterparts, as well as SACEUR, General Curtis Scaparrotti, SACT, General Denis Mercier, Chairmen of the NATO Military Committee, General Petr Pavel and General Michael Kostarakos, respectively, and Turkish ChoD, General Hulusi Akar.
During his contacts, the HNDGS Chief pointed out the issue of the Turkish Armed Forces' violations of Greek airspace and territorial waters in the Aegean, raised issues related to bilateral military co-operation, informed about the initiatives taken by Greek Armed Forces to promote military cooperation with Balkan, North Africa and the Middle East countries, and invited his counterparts to take part in international exercises organized by Greece, such as "INIOXOS" exercise.